No Sew Bench Seat Workshop
Next date: Saturday, 27 July 2019 | 01:00 PM
to 05:30 PM
Make your own no-sew bench seat with Brisbane-based artists and designers, Ministry of Handmade. This workshop is available on two different dates - Saturday 27th or Sunday 28th July.
Ministry of Handmade are coming to Rockhampton for one weekend only with an exclusive opportunity to make your own bench seat ottoman.
This no-sew workshop is perfect for DIYers without sewing skills, or those who prefer a fast folded corner rather than piping. They provide the frame and tools, you just need to bring whichever fabric will look perfect in your home.
During the 4.5-hour workshop, you will create a 450mm high and 350mm wide bench seat. There are a range of customisable options that allow you to create the perfect style and look to suit your space:
- Two lengths – either 900mm or 1200mm long (Custom lengths are available. Please ask about pricing.)
- Legs – tapered timber pine (standard) or (as an optional extra) Victorian ash or steel hairpin legs
- Covered buttons – buttons are included in the price (14 for 1200mm and 12 for the 900mm seat)
Participants are welcome to upgrade to either Victorian ash hardwood or black steel hairpin legs for an additional $30 (please advise on booking, to ensure these materials are available on the day)
Everything you need to make your bench seat except your choice of fabric. Ministry of Handmade will supply the steel reinforced ply frame, foam, wadding, dust cover to underside, legs, beeswax for finishing the legs.
What you will learn:
- How to cut and staple the cover to the frame
- How to make and attach the optional covered buttons
- How to attach the dust cover
- How to attach the legs
- How to apply beeswax or furniture oil to the timber legs (The timber legs can be left raw so they can be stained a colour of your choice at home)
What you need to bring:
- Medium-heavy weight cottons
- Cotton/linen blends
- Cotton canvas
- Upholstery weight fabric
- Quilting weight fabric
- Thick upholstery fabrics as they are bulky and hard to work with
- Stripes and checks as they are difficult to pattern match
- Fabrics that are shiny or have a sheen to them as they show up any imperfections more readily than fabrics with a dull finish
Price: $320| $315 Friends of the Gallery
Where: Rockhampton Art Gallery (entry via the front of the Gallery, directly off Victoria Parade)
Who: Anybody aged 17+ who is curious about trying a new and unique activity or making a beautiful bench seat to use in the home or give as a gift. No experience necessary.
Parking: Victoria Parade or Bolsover Car Park behind the Gallery
About the Tutor
Ministry of Handmade is owned and run by two Brisbane creatives, Julie and Maurice Hillier. They run creative textile workshops teaching handmade skills with a modern twist. Workshops include dressmaking, soft furnishings, lampshades, upholstery, simple furniture renovation, crochet, basket coiling and more!
Click here to view form.
Saturday, 27 July 2019 | 01:00 PM
- 05:30 PM
Rockhampton Art Gallery, 62 Victoria Parade, Rockhampton City 4700 View Map