Works on Paper Collection Volunteer
Position Title: Works on Paper Collection Volunteer
Volunteers play a vital role in the day-to-day activities of Rockhampton Art Gallery. Volunteers are committed to providing a highly professional and informative service. They require a strong commitment to customer service and a willingness to enhance their knowledge of arts and culture as well as Council procedures to assist them in their role. Gallery Volunteers should attempt to exceed customers’ expectations when responding to enquiries. Those who can dedicate a regular day and time, or a week or two solidly, to volunteering are highly valued and we do our best to support your goals while we work together to support the Gallery.
As a Works on Paper Collection Volunteer you will assist with:
- Sorting our works on paper collection into like materials
- Condition Reporting and photographing each work as we prepare for relocation
- Re-housing the works in new solander boxes
- Recording the new locations for works in a cover sheet for each box, and in the digital database
- Undertaking research to contribute to the background and significance of each item in the collection
- This project will run on Tuesday’s and Wednesday’s.
- Well organised, committed, reliable and able to use initiative
- Good verbal and written communication skills
- A careful and considered approach to artwork handling
- An interest or degree in art, art history, culture, curation or conservation.
- Enjoys researching and writing
- Ability to ask questions and follow instructions
- Able to work independently once training has been provided. Staff will be available to assist if you have questions or would like guidance on a project.
- Gain experience in the arts that can support future employment
- Develop collection management skills
- Develop a knowledge of conservation and museum standards
- Learn the ins-and-outs of the art gallery with exclusive behind the scenes access
- Be a valuable part of a supportive and knowledgeable team that is willing to share their expertise with you
- Complimentary annual Friends of the Gallery membership
- Opportunity to meet other people interested in art
- Contribute to cultural development within the community
Rockhampton Art Gallery, Cultural Collections Officer Lexi Maller
Rockhampton Art Gallery
62 Victoria Parade
Rockhampton QLD 4700
Phone: 07 4936 8248