Position Title: Collection Volunteer
Those who can dedicate a regular day and time, or a week or two solidly, to volunteering are highly valued and we do our best to support your goals while we work together to support the Gallery.
As a Collection Volunteer you will assist with:
- researching background information about Rockhampton Art Gallery’s collection as a whole
- updating information in the Gallery’s electronic database
- undertaking research to contribute to the background and significance of each item in the collection
- digitising artwork files
- Condition Reporting and photographing the collection as we prepare for relocation
- Measuring artworks for transport boxes and travel crates
- Applicants with a conservation or art handling background would be welcome to join us in the more active conservation tasks that will be undertaken as we prepare to relocate.
- Research projects on Rockhampton Art Gallery’s collection are available throughout the year
- Condition Reporting and photographing the collection to occur Tuesday and Wednesday each week from the end of September 2019 – December 2020.
- Well organised, committed, reliable and ability to use initiative
- Good verbal and written communication skills
- An interest or degree in art, art history, culture, curation or conservation.
- Enjoys researching
- Ability to ask questions and follow instructions
- Able to work independently once training has been provided. Staff will be available to assist if you have questions or would like guidance on a project.
- Gain experience in the arts that can support future employment
- Develop collection management skills
- Develop a knowledge of conservation and museum standards
- Learn the ins-and-outs of the art gallery with exclusive behind the scenes access
- Be a valuable part of a supportive and knowledgeable team that is willing to share their expertise with you
- Complimentary annual Friends of the Gallery membership
- Opportunity to meet other people interested in art
- Contribute to cultural development within the community
Rockhampton Art Gallery, Cultural Collections Officer Lexi Maller
Rockhampton Art Gallery
62 Victoria Parade
Rockhampton QLD 4700
Phone: 07 4936 8248